Thursday, June 06, 2013

1

Morning started well. I finally got up before 10am. Loon was in the midst of making pancakes, using egg-pan (a present from a best friend) this time. He was having fun.

I sit by the heater, open and started flipping through and reading the book "self-promotion for introverts". It is about being introverts and public speaking. Maybe because I read "the power of introverts" previously, this book doesn't interest me much. However, I like the part on how the author prepares for her own public speaking & even posing a simple question to high profile individuals. Prepare, research, framework, WIIFM, rehearse etc...


I remembered my lousiest time of presenting was when I had a session with a class of abt 20-30 ppl. This was probably the 2nd session of a series of four. The teacher who was bringing me to her classroom asked me where was my laptop? She said, I saw you bring your own last time. Crap. I brought goodies, stationeries, and everything but my laptop. And I had not email my slides to myself. I had put it into thumb-drive but didn't bring my thumb-drive which was in my laptop bag. OH GREAT!

What happened later was that luckily I printed hard copies for teacher and myself. So I used the projector to project my slides, and did the same whole sharing exact same way, except the beginning. I greeted the class, told them what I did (not do) today hence they would  have a more primitive version of slides. The sharing went alright.

Other than a few animated move of my slides were missing. The slides were in black and white only. I was still as good as I could be. And I believed one or a few of the students were happy that they not only skipped listening to their teacher for a period, but got to know "The Little Prince" a little bit more.

Looking back, I thought things could be worse, if I forgot to bring hard copies or the teacher showed her disappointment on face. Yet, probably because I had went through terrible radio hosting hours previously. I survived this time.

Like author Nancy Ancowitz said, "because even with the best preparation, things often don't go as planned, so we need to be flexible, expect a few surprises - from ourselves, others, and our circumstances - and project confidence, no matter what happens".

I would simply put it. Things do go wrong. Accept the imperfection. Move on.

No comments: