Saturday, February 24, 2024

717 #3 Start again - Nyad

Nyad became the first person swimming from Cuba to Florida at the age of 64 (177.028km/110 miles). She was the first person to cross that straits when no one knows whether it was humanly possible.


The Oscar nominated movie based on the real story of Nyad captured the journey of a retireestrives to live her life fully and braves through failures. Watching this movie at the age of 37, at the junction of finishing a law degree and becoming a lawyer, I wonder what I take away from the movie and/or the legendary heroic swim from Cuba to Florida.

"One Good Stroke"

After the team (the captain, the navigator, the skipper, medics) finally saw the light emitted from the coast of Florida, there was a moment when Nyad did not seem to move forward. She floated for awhile. Her coach Bonnie jumped into the water with her, and told her to give her "one good stroke". When Nyad did so, Bonnie said another "one good stroke".

When the task seems monumentous and unachievable, one more minute, another more minute, may be what we can do. 

This aligns with the 原子習慣 Atomic Habits that when you break the task down to the smallest component. It becomes easier to DO. 

I intend to try this in my current challenge to complete Practical Legal Training tasks. One good minute. Where will you try this mantra?

Crew Up

When Nyad finally reached the shore of Florida, she said three things. I can only remember two now. First, never, ever give up. Third, it looks like a solitary sport but it takes a team.

In my journey of becoming a law student and a lawyer, I become clearly aware that lawyering is team work.

When I am a law student, my team comprises of my daughter Lala who is my cheerleader. She keeps telling me, you need to study so you can become a lawyer, right, mama? She tells that to random strangers too. Ya, I need to study, so I will become a lawyer.

Later on, I found my people, a tiny few friends from the course and even less lecturers who see my potential before I do.

I have only met people who generously encourages and appreciates what I have done. In my journey of becoming a lawyer, I am lucky enough to find and keep the people who will crew me up to reach my shore of Florida.

Who are in your team?

Never, ever give up

Nyad had four attempts before the legendary swim.

The thing about never give up in meditation world would sound like "let go. start again".

Seven years ago, when Lala came into my life, my perfectionist-self found that I no longer have a self and control over life. And I could not do the most important task of my life well - caring for Lala. Then, I found meditation.

Meditating has been a journey, like writing. Start. Drop. Long pause. And, start again.

The key to move forward and onward, I think is to let go of what others see as a failure. It was one and it was not. It is another step forward, another stroke forward, bringing human kinds closer to the impossible, bringing myself closer to the yet-achievable.

With this post, I did one good stroke to start again. See you next.

No comments: